#85 Barrier Coat
Radiant barrier, radiation control &
Vapor Retarder Coating
A cost effective boost to conventional home insulation
that can save energy and money
CERAMIC-ALUMINUM BARRIER COATING
As a Radiant Barrier: Stops heat from entering or escaping.
Until now the only types of radiant barriers available were foil film, metalized plastic film, and metalized "chips" . These types of barriers are installed by attaching to the underside of the roof with staples or sprinkled about on top of the fiberglass insulation on the attic floor. There are a few sprayable paint coatings available that are sold as radiant barriers but they all contain volatile solvents which are not only hazardous to the installer but also to the homeowner as the toxic fumes penetrate down through the ceilings and into the interior. Don't be fooled by the terms "latex base"or "water cleanup" as they do not reflect the true chemical makeup of the coating. Read the ingredients!
Hy-Tech Barrier Coat is the ONLY radiant barrier paint that contains pure metal (aluminum) pigment, Hy-Tech insulating ceramic microspheres and NO mineral spirits or other volatile, flammable solvents.
How It Works:
Aluminum is highly reflective to infrared (IR) due to the high concentration of mobile electrons. Barrier Coat contains aluminum metal in the form of thin "Leafing" aluminum flakes which are highly reflective and reduce the penetration of IR radiation. The overlapping aluminum flakes align themselves parallel to and concentrated near the surface of the coating and have reflectance values of 0.75 to 0.8 for the key spectral range of 1 to 8 .mu.m.
In addition to the infrared reflective aluminum pigment, Barrier Coat also contains a very high concentration of heat reducing Hy-Tech Insulating ceramics. The combination of these two heat reduction pigments forms Hy-Tech's exclusive "Ceramic Vacuum Matrix" which minimizes solar-induced heat build-up
As a Sound Barrier:
The HY-TECH hollow ceramic microspheres are a vacuum inside. Physics law states that nothing can move by conduction through a vacuum, since it represents an absence of matter. In effect we have a miniature thermos bottle... a microscopic hollow vacuum sphere that resists thermal conductivity and reduces the transfer of sound fairly well. Although Barrier Coat reduces the transfer of sound it is not intended to be a solution for serious sound problems. ( For sound reduction See Acousti-Coat #150
As a Vapor Retarder: You Must Prevent Moisture Accumulation
Moisture control is a major concern associated with thermal insulation. The warm air inside your house contains water vapor. If this vapor passes into the insulation and condenses, it can cause significant loss of insulating value.
If moisture becomes deposited in the building structure, it can cause mold growth, peeling paint, and eventual rotting of structural wood.
Vapor retarders are special materials that reduce the passage of water vapor. Vapor retarders should be used in most parts of the country. In colder climates, place the vapor retarder on the warm side--the lived-in side--of the space to be insulated. This location prevents the moisture in the warm indoor air from reaching the insulation. If you live in an area where the climate is predominantly hot and humid, check with a local builder to determine the correct placement or need for a vapor retarder. More detailed guidance on regional differences in moisture control recommendations can be found in the Moisture Control Handbook published by US Department of Energy .
To guard against moisture problems, use Barrier Coat on interior walls and ceilings and provide adequate ventilation for the house. If you have a crawl space you should spray the underside with Barrier Coat.
Barrier Coat #85 Features:
- Very low odor, soap and water clean up.
- Low applied cost per square foot
- Dual protection: The metallic aluminum pigment reflects away radiant energy or heat from the sun during the summer months and in winter the same microscopic aluminum particles prevent radiant heat from leaving the building. Hy-Tech insulating ceramics further reduce conductive heat transfer.
- Permeable, does not trap moisture but reduces its rate of transfer.
- Easily installed using brush, roller, or spray
- Excellent for back priming wood sheathing and siding in new construction, not only providing a superior radiant barrier, but also protects against wood rot from water intrusion through cracks and splits in the wood
- Saves money by lowering heating and cooling cost of operation and wear and tear of the equipment.
- Improves efficiency of existing insulation by lowering the temperatures that it is exposed to.
- An Easy way to upgrade existing structures
- Easily applied to Attic Space,underside of roof decking, side walls and overhead doors in metal buildings, Duct work, Pipes, interiors of cargo transportation vehicles, barns, storage buildings, animal shelters, grain silos, poultry housing...the applications are endless
- Due to the high reflectivity of the coating, Barrier Coat increases interior lighting levels in commercial and industrial buildings which aids in reducing lighting costs.
- In buildings heated by infrared heaters, wood burning stoves or other radiant heat sources, Barrier Coat greatly improves the efficiency of the heat source, reducing fuel and energy costs
- On interior wall applications Barrier Coat not only provides
a barrier to radiated heat but also an Aluminum vapor barrier which reduces water vapor transfer through the walls, a real plus for older homes and homes with EIFS wall systems.
- Barrier coat can be top coated with a decorative conventional wall paint.
- Environmentally Friendly! Contains No ammonia, No alcohol, No solvents!
- SAVE Money...Do it yourself. We include with every order, step by step instructions on how you can easily and inexpensively apply barrier coat.
If you have seen the RIMA study on coatings, please see our additional information page Click Here
Spread Rate: 200 sq ft per gallon (for attic spray applications) 300 sq ft per gallon for semi smooth walls and ceilings.
Two coats are recommended on new unprimed wood.
to insure an even distribution of the aluminum and ceramic particles.
Available in 1 Gal and 5 Gal containers
$38.00 Per Gal...5 Gallon $190.00
Download>> MSDS Data Sheet